Friends are not FOOD

Friends  are not FOOD

segunda-feira, 28 de maio de 2018

Scary Parade


After working long hours teaching English, unable to think in Portuguese language, I went to the supermarket near my house in order to buy some flour. I went walking of course; there was no gas in my car.  My first idea was to make a cake.
By far I listened to strong noises: horns, whistles, human voices… When I approached the supermarket I saw a parade with about 300 hundred people with banners, signs and posters asking for “Military Intervention” “Dictatorship”…
My heart sank. In my mind I only saw the images of  films, documentaries  and  stories  told  by  History teachers  and  people in general,   five, ten, fifteen ( and more)   years  older than me. Artists’ exile, banishments of journalists, politicians and other kinds of professions; torture, disappearance, death…
I could not believe my eyes. I could not trust my ears. It was true, though.  There was a parade in front of me where people were shouting and asking for Dictatorship.
Why were they doing so? Did they cut History classes in school? Do they ignore reality? Have not they watched real documentaries about missing people?  People, who, like us, only wanted to enjoy life, work to provide good food and housing for the family, raise some cats and dogs…
There is nothing I can say. I am scared. There is nothing left to do but pray.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário